This new 131,000-square-foot academic building captures the original Tudor-style architecture of the 1927 school, re-creating the façade along North Delaware Street (including the “drunken sailor” brick pattern). Portions of the original building were salvaged and reused, resulting in a fully modern school that retains the spirit of the historic campus.
The two- and three-story braced steel framed structure houses administration areas, classrooms, science and computer laboratories, a library, and a cafeteria. The design reconfigured the campus by arranging the buildings in a U-shape, creating a new outdoor student quadrangle focused around an open-air amphitheater to provide a central, safe gathering place for students.
Design and approval were accelerated for the District and completed in five months.
Location: San Mateo, California
Architect: BCA Architects
Area: 131,000 sf
Completion Date: 2004