The project created a state of the art exhibit space to display the eclectic collection of historical artifacts gathered by the Chemical Heritage Foundation. The original structure is the 1865 First National Bank designed by John MacArthur, Jr.
Thornton Tomasetti provided structural engineering services for the conversion of the existing space to the integrated museum and conference center. Challenges included the removal of existing masonry bearing walls to provide connectivity with lobby and loggia spaces, the support of glass floor balconies, the design of a curved glass monumental stair and the detailing of support for glow panel exhibits.
The renovated facility incorporated sustainable tactics such as including recycled materials into the project.
Location: Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
Owner: Chemical Heritage Foundation
Architect: Saylor Gregg Architect, Ralph Appelbaum Associates
Completion Date: 2008