Thornton Tomasetti, the international engineering firm, has received an American Institute of Steel Construction (AISC) IDEAS2 Merit Award for its work on Cincinnati’s Great American Tower at Queen City Square roof-top tiara. The firm was presented with an award for excellence in steel-frame building assembly for projects with a construction value of less than $15 million.
AISC announced the winners of this year’s IDEAS2 Awards, which recognize innovative engineering and architectural design projects using structural steel, on April 18 during the annual NASCC: The Steel Conference in Grapevine, Texas.
• Thornton Tomasetti provided structural design services through construction administration to architect HOK for the 1.6-million-square-foot tower and tiara structure, which comprises 15 steel tube arches spanning approximately 158 feet horizontally and 130 feet vertically from the top of the main building roof.
• The 13-story tiara brings the height of the building to 665 feet, making it Cincinnati’s tallest building. It is also the city’s greenest tower, having achieved LEED Gold certification.
• Additionally, the firm provided geometric evaluation, final structural analysis with value engineering, connection design and a 3D Tekla model and steel shop drawings to Owen Steel Company.
• The tiara design went through many iterations and steel configurations, with the goal of finding the proper balance between aesthetic and financial requirements.
• The Cincinnati, Ohio-based Queen City Square tiara project tapped both Thornton Tomasetti’s Building Structure and Construction Support Services practices.
• Based in Chicago, Ill., AISC is a not-for-profit technical institute and trade association established in 1921 to serve the structural steel design community and construction industry in the United States. The organization’s mission is to make structural steel the material of choice by being the leader in structural-steel-related technical and market-building activities.
» Building Structure
» Construction Support Services
» Great American Tower
» Thornton Tomasetti
About Thornton Tomasetti (www.ThorntonTomasetti.com)
Thornton Tomasetti is a leader in engineering design, investigation and analysis serving clients worldwide on projects of all sizes and complexity. With practices in building structure, building skin, building performance, construction support services, property loss consulting and building sustainability, Thornton Tomasetti addresses the full life cycle of a structure. We have supported clients working in more than 40 countries, with projects that include the tallest buildings and longest spans to the restoration of prized historic properties. Founded in 1956, today Thornton Tomasetti is a 600-person organization of engineers and architects collaborating from offices across the United States and in Asia-Pacific, Europe and the Middle East.
Follow us on:
Great Ink Communications – 212.741.2977
Eric Gerard/Alyson Grala
Thornton Tomasetti – 917.661.7800
James M. Kent, JKent@ThorntonTomasetti.com